Sunday, October 26, 2014

How to Run for a Position in Your Organization...and Get it!




I have held many positions within many organizations throughout my life, both in high school and college. But it wasn't till today when an underclassmen asked me for help with her quest  to be President of a student organization, that I really had to think,

"What did I do to get all the positions I have had?"
 
 
1. Talk it Up- If you are thinking about running for a position within an organization, MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN. No one is going to vote for "that one girl who sits in the back". Start getting involved as soon as you think you are interested in holding your own position. Ask to be a director of someone with an official position, go to as many events as you can, and keep yourself up to date on everything to do with the organization. Not only this, but start spreading the word that you want X position. No one likes to vote for someone they feel had an epiphany during a dream and now thinks they should run for a position. People will vote for those they KNOW have been involved members before and have been interested in the position for some time.  Soon you will go from, "Hey what's that girl's name" to "Organization Superstar".
 
2. Be Confident- DO YOU and be proud. If you don't even have a relatively large position currently and others notice that you are hesitant in voicing your opinion, get upset easily, or seem self conscious.  That is the first thing they are going to scrutinize you for during the voting process. Organizations want (and need) a leader who is unafraid to do what they know is best for the organization and it's members, even if it means being "organization enemy #1". That is what confidence is. It is being able to follow through and believe in everything you do, no matter what others think.
 
3. Don't let your stress show- If there is one thing I have been working on, it's reversing my developed stereotype by others that I am constantly a "stress ball". While I will admit I stress a lot, it does not mean that I am not capable of stressful positions. The world doesn't understand stress the way I do. For those like myself, we are motivated by stress. In order to avoid being labeled, "Too stressed to handle this position", save your complaints and meltdowns for your bestie. As bad as it may seem to fake how you really feel in the moment, keep your worries/doubts for dorm vent 'seshs only.
 
4. Interview No No's-
  • Show up late
  • Show up without a resume
  • Show up dressed casual
  • Fidgit
  • Do not look anywhere but the interviewers eyes
 
5. Practice your speech or interview questions- My favorite way to practice for a speech or an interview, is to record my answers or my speech using my recorder on my laptop. This allows me to play it back, while doing anything. Hearing yourself say your speech over and over will not only help you memorize the words but the tonal inflections you need to use to deliver an entertaining and emotional speech. Same tips go for an interview, the more you practice not just what you are going to say, but how you are going to say it, the more official and "right for the job" you will appear to be.
 
6. Read your application answers out loud- Don't write your application question answers as you would a homework assignment. Instead, write them as if you were giving it as a speech and re-read them to yourself. This form of writing is not only is more entertaining, but it often communicates a more emotional, raw tone with your reader and is more appealing for them to read.
 
7. Meet with the past holder of that office- Make a coffee date with the person who you would like to succeed. Ask them questions about their best experiences, worst experiences, advice they would give to someone in their shoes, etc. Again, this will put you in the "spotlight" as someone who is not only interested in this position, but has taken the time to get information directly from the source.
 
8. Don't hold back- I hate bragging about my accomplishments, no matter how brag worthy they are. But the weeks leading up to your election night or whatever process your organization uses to elect officers, IT's OK to brag a little. I am by no means saying go overboard, "I am the best person to ever live", but don't hold back on all those great accomplishments you have previously had and worked so hard for. If you never share them, no one will ever know what you are capable of and HAVE done before.
 
 
Good Luck!
 
Love,
Meredith
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment