Friday, October 31, 2014

Find the Silver Lining...and LIVE!






It's Halloween. I am a senior in college who is laying in bed with a nasty case of pink eye that has ruined any plans I had of going out. I have never been out on Halloween or been to the holy ground of Soho in Tampa that is "MacDinton's". So tonight was supposed to be one of those, "Finally!" kind of nights.

To be brutally honest, October has been miserable:
1. A mishap with a t-shirt company
2. A two week long stretch of being sick as a dog
3. Constantly being unhappy with my body
4. Frustration over groups projects
5. Feeling betrayed by a group of friends
6. Not getting into the classes I need to graduate
7. Loving people more than they will ever love me
8. ....

I could probably go on and on if I could remember all the terrible things that happened to me this month. But as I sat here, down on myself about all the things going wrong in my life, one person came to mind...Jessy.

As many of you may know, I recently started an effort to raise money for a past University of Tampa Student and fellow marketing lover, Jessica Moran, who was a member of the business fraternity I belong to and was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in February...

At the age of 25.

I have heard so many times growing up, "Things could be so much worse", but it wasn't till I started this effort, Jessy's Story, that the words really took meaning. I only know Jessy through pictures, stories, and the few conversations I have had with her on the phone. But it has been just enough to finally put a face with that phrase, "Things could be so much worse."

Yeah, I could be in a flirty costume dancing my friends, have a super model body I could flaunt every day, and have everything in my life be perfect. But would we ever then be able to see a silver lining? If everything was perfect?

Through Jessy's blog, The Inspiration Initiative, you never see one bit of a "Why me" attitude. Yeah, she has written about being fed up with being cooped up in the house all day, but she still managed to make us laugh and feel comfy with her Target socks and fireplace picture. The perfect interweaving of a silver lining. Her smile. Infectious personality (from what I can tell through the love and support of the website) and her writing, cancer has made Jessy herself a silver lining of life.

A person we can all look to and say, "THAT is how you LIVE, no matter what the circumstances."

So, I encourage you all.
Sit down.
Make a list.
Write down everything you are mad about, have gone wrong, don't like, or whatever makes you say, "Everything bad happens to me".

Then. Think.

What is your silver lining list?

For me:
1. Not having the perfect body, but being healthy and smart
2. Handling the t-shirt situation with finally learning to stand up for myself
3. Being sick, but finally taking the time to RELAX.
4. Group projects being the biggest laugh fest of my week, even if we don't get anything done.
5. Realizing that there are teachers who care enough to help me see out my senior year. No need to panic
6. Loving someone who doesn't love you back is a gift.
7. You DO have friends who care

Next time you are feeling down, find a silver lining in everything. You won' believe all the blessing you already have, even amongst all the misfortune.

Because as Jessy has showed me, even in something as evil as cancer there is a silver lining waiting....

 You just have to find it and never let go.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment